You’re viewing a version of this story optimized for slow connections. To see the full story click here.

Harold Hust

& the Hust family in Glen Aubrey, NY

Story by Rachel Hust December 13th, 2014


Harold Theodore Hust was born on February 9th, 1930 to his parents Wilhelmina “Minnie”and Theodore Hust. William, his brother, was born three years earlier, and three siblings followed: Shirley, Donald Arthur, and Claire. The family lived in Callicoon Center, NY until Harold was six years old. When Claire, the youngest, had just been born, Theodore needed work, so the family packed up and moved sixty miles upstate to Glen Aubrey, NY. And this is where the story begins……

William, Harold, their mother holding Claire, Arthur, and Shirley. Soon after Claire was born they moved to Glen Aubrey.


Harold decided to finish 2nd grade back in Callicoon Center while living on his uncle Harold’s farm. He soon joined his family in Glen Aubrey, NY but remained close to his uncle Harold throughout the years, visiting him in the summers. In Glen Aubrey, Harold’s father found a steady job at a dairy farm 3 miles up the road. His father always walked the three miles to and from work, rising before dawn and returning after dusk. Every penny he earned was needed to provide for his growing family. The children were healthy and energetic. Harold and his younger brother, Donald, known by his middle name, Arthur, were often mischievous, causing trouble for their older brother, Bill, when he had to watch them. All in all, it was a happy life.
Harold's father, Theodore, with Harold as a young man.
Harold's brother and best friend, "Art."
Throughout the time in Glen Aubrey, the Hust family moved locations seven or eight times, but finally settled on a piece of land below Leekville Rd. This would become their permanent residence for many years, and would also be the place where Harold met his future wife, Joyce. She was their neighbor.
Bonnie Croft (neighbor), Claire (sister), and Joyce (future wife) in the Leekville neighborhood.
Things were going well. Harold graduated high school with good marks. He spent his summers working on his uncle Harold’s farm, and eventually his brother Art’s farm (in eighth grade, Art had dropped out of school to begin taking over a dairy farm which would become his own). Harold also had fun amidst the work. There were many neighbor kids along Leekville road, and they would spend hours together playing ball games and inventing fun. One of the girls amongst the group of friends was Joyce Williams, who lived on a neighboring farm. She was three years younger than Harold, but she began going on dates with Harold when they were in their teen years. Years passed, and Joyce continued to “go with” him. They enjoyed each other, and it soon became evident to them both that it was love.
Harold riding one of the neighbor's ponies.
Harold and Joyce.

Harold’s world was changed, however, when he was drafted into the U.S. Army at the age of 21.

Harold at the front of the line responding to the draft.


After Harold was drafted, he and Joyce decided to marry in the little time they had. They were married in February of 1951 and he left for training camp in the fall of that year. He was 21 and she was 18.

Harold could have been exempted from the draft had he chosen to stay and work on Arthur’s farm, but he chose to fulfill the duty. While Arthur stayed home to work his dairy farm, his brother Bill had already served as a Merchant Marine in WWII and was not redrafted.

Harold pictured with his mother before leaving for the army
back: Ken Williams and Art (brother)
front: Bernard and Shirley (sister), the Hust couple.
Harold and his parents, Minnie and Theodore, in Glen Aubrey
For about four months, Harold was in basic training at the Fort Dix camp in New Jersey. He still was able to visit his wife on the weekends as he had a friend with a car at Fort Dix. They would often make the five hour drive, sometimes secretly. A few months later, he was deployed overseas to Germany.
Before he left, he and Joyce discovered that they were expecting their first child.
Harold at Fort Dix for basic training
bittersweet departure


Harold was part of the Armored Infantry, which is a division that uses armored vehicles. Armored infantry was introduced in order to move away from the devastating trench warfare of WWI. Harold never had to fight, but instead, became a radio operator for intercepting morse code messages. Harold stayed in Germany until the end of the war in 1953.

His first daughter, Diane, was born during this time.

Then he returned home.

Joyce and Harold, together again.

Home in the glen

Once home, Harold finally met his new daughter, Diane. As soon as he arrived home, Harold bought his young family a home, a house on the Leekville property. This was the home in which his family was raised. Harold got a job at the new computer company, IBM. Soon, he and Joyce were expecting their next child. It was a boy, and they named him Daniel.

Diane and Dan, playing in the summer


Harold and Joyce also gave birth to two more sons. They had four children, Diane, Daniel, Scott, and Joseph. The four of them grew up in Glen Aubrey and continue to live close by.
baby Joe at home
Family Christmas

Involvement in glen aubrey

Harold continued to work at IBM. He moved through many positions there, working on the machine floor, with quality computers, and with engineering computers. He also helped his brother with his milk route, delivering door to door from Art’s dairy farm. Harold also served in the Glen Aubrey volunteer fire department since age 16, eventually with his sons. He became a boy scout leader and took all of the boys camping once a month, even in the winter.

Harold's three sons outside of their home:
Scott, Joe, and Dan
Joe in boyscouts, with his father as his troop leader.

When his brother, Art, bought some land for his cows to graze and decided to dig a lake, Harold helped. Glen Aubrey thus became home to “Hust Lake,” which became a gathering point for all of Harold’s siblings and their children, many of whom stayed to build their lives in Glen Aubrey. The boy scout camp was held up at Hust Lake as well.

Hust Lake, owned by Art
the Hust family enjoyed spending time together at Hust Lake

a legacy

Harold worked at IBM for 34 years before retiring. Meanwhile, his children started bringing him many grandchildren.

He currently has 13 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren. They call him “Gramps.”

Harold working at IBM
Harold with two of his grandchildren, Ryan and Thad

Though Harold lost Joyce to cancer in 2001, he continues to love his family with the same faithfulness. His children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren continue to be blessed by his presence in their lives. He is very loved.

Harold, "Gramps," continues to leave a legacy
Footnote: Rachel Hust, who married his youngest grandchild, continues to be blessed by him, too.
Glen Aubrey, NY, United States